Processing and Transmission of Multimedia Signals
(Elaborazione e Trasmissione di Informazioni Multimediali – ETIM)
(Valid since 2010)
- Signals, quantization, SNR, need for signal compression. Lossy compression. Non-uniform quantization. (review only)
- Voice signals (narrowband and wideband).
- Voice coding: G.711, log-PCM, DPCM, linear prediction, APCM, ADPCM, G.726.
- Voice production model. Analysis of voice signal, intelligibility.
- LPC tecniques.
- Quality: MOS.
- Other approaches: MELP, hybrid. Vector quantization, CELP, G.278, G.729, GSM, GSM-AMR.
- Audio Signals. Audibility threshold. Frequency masking.
- Perceptual audio coding, psycho-acoustic model.
- Audio standards: MPEG layer 1,2,3. AAC.
- Images: introduction, lossless and lossy coding.
- Lossless coding: run-length, GIF, PNG.
- Lossy coding: JPEG.
- Video: introduction. Hybrid codec: differential encoding with motion compensation.
- Video standards: MPEG-x, H.26x. Scalability
- Stereoscopic / 3D / Multiview video: principles and standards.
- Multimedia communication scenarions (VoIP, streaming, etc.)
- Protocols for multimedia communications: H.323, RTP, RTCP, SDP, RTSP.
- Techniques for robust real-time multimedia communications over packet networks.
- Playout buffer, concealment, interleaving, redundancy, FEC, ARQ, rate adaptation.
- Use of network-provided QoS for multimedia communications (IntServ, DiffServ).
- Pull-based streaming techniques (HTTP-based), the DASH standard.
See also the official course web page
Exam schedule (in Italian): click here